HISTORY OF THE PHILIPPINE COCONUT AUTHORITY
The Philippine Coconut Authority was created pursuant to Presidential Decree 232 on June 30, 1973. It absorbed and assumed the powers and functions of the then Coconut Coordinating Council (CCC), the Philippine Coconut Administration (PHILCOA) and the Philippine Coconut Research Institute (PHILCORIN).
Today, it is the sole government agency that is tasked to develop the industry to its full potential in line with the new vision of a united, globally competitive and efficient coconut industry.
PCA THROUGH THE YEARS
1940. National Coconut Corporation (NACOCO) was created to promote the growth and development of the coconut industry.
1954. NACOCO became the Philippine Coconut Administration (PHILCOA) with the same function and responsibilities. Ten years later, it expanded its scope of operations and renamed as Philippine Coconut Research Institute (PHILCORIN) an agency created to monitor, evaluate and conduct researches on the coconut.
1971. At the height of the Period of Expansion, the Coconut Coordinating Council (CCC) was created in lieu of PHILCORIN and was tasked to supervise, coordinate and evaluate the implementation of the coconut self-sufficiency program of the government.
1973. Agencies lacked singleness in its purpose and the framework upon which they operated did not revolve around the total development of the coconut industry where coconut farmers stood at the focal point. In view of this, Government deemed it necessary to create an agency that would address that situation, thus, the Philippine Coconut Authority was created in June 30, 1973 by virtue of P.D. No. 232. It absorbed and assumed the powers and functions, including the personnel and assets of the then defunct CCC, PHILCOA, and the PHILCORIN.
1976. Philippine Coconut Authority became an independent public corporation on July 14, 1976 pursuant to P.D. No. 961, reporting directly and supervised solely by the Office of the President. This Decree was the first codification of the laws dealing with the development of the coconut and other palm oil industry.
1978. The Code was later revised on June 11, 1978 by P.D. No. 1468 ("Revised Coconut Industry Code") which eventually became the charter of PCA as a public corporation.
1987. On January 30, 1987, pursuant to Executive Order No. 116, the Philippine Coconut Authority was officially declared as an attached Agency of the Department of Agriculture (DA). The declaration of transfer to DA from the Office of the President was enacted to provide overall coordination and monitoring of policies and programs of various sectors in agriculture. The attachment was confirmed and incorporated in the Administrative Code of 1987.
2014. By virtue of Executive Order No. 165 issued on May 15, 2014, the Philippine Coconut Authority, National Food Authority, National Irrigation Administration, and Fertilizer and Pesticide Authority were transferred from the Department of Agriculture to the Office of the President. The declaration of transfer of these agencies to the Office of the President was enacted to enhance and coordinate the efforts of the PCA, NFA, NIA and FPA in fulfilling their respective mandates.
2016. On June 30, 2016, pursuant to Executive Order No. 01, the Philippine Coconut Authority was one of the 12 agencies placed under the supervision of the Office of the Cabinet Secretary. The declaration of supervision of the agency was enacted to develop and evaluate poverty reduction programs to reduce both the incidence and magnitude of poverty.