Research on coconut in the Philippines is recorded to have started as early as the 1950’s. Before the creation of the Philippine Coconut Research Institute (PHILCORIN) in April 1965, there were more than ten (10) government agencies doing various researches on coconut. Operating under the National Science Development Board (NSDB), PHILCORIN was tasked to coordinate these research efforts in order to avoid unnecessary duplication and wastage of resources.
In February 6, 1966, an area of 189 hectares located at Bago Oshiro, Davao City was leased for 25 years from the Bureau of Plant Industry (BPI) in order to pursue agricultural researches on coconut. This was then the birth of the first station of PHILCORIN (now Davao Research Center).
With the expansion of research activities under the FAO-UNDP project a 500-hectare station located at San Ramon, Zamboanga City was acquired through Presidential Proclamation No. 1025 dated 25 June 1972. Research Projects were then carried out at the research centers of Davao and Zamboanga.
By virtue of PD No. 232, signed into law in June 30, 1973, the Philippine Coconut Research Institute, the Philippine Coconut Administrator (PHILCOA) and the Coconut Coordinating Council (CCC) were abolished and subsequently created the Philippine Coconut Authority (PCA) to provide a unified leadership toward the development of the coconut industry. The functions and resources of the old PHILCORIN was taken over by the Agricultural Research Department (ARD) now the Agricultural Research Development Branch (ARDB) of PCA.
In 1976, the BPI-owned Guinobatan Experiment Station, now the Albay Research Center (ARC) was turned over to PCA.